Monday, January 10, 2011

Dog Food!

People are always asking me what type of food to feed their pets. There are so many options out there... commercial, homemade, all natural, raw, organic, and so on. I understand the decision can be tough but here is my recommendation...

* For the average, healthy cat or dog that does not have specific dietary needs as directed by a veterinarian, here is my guide for finding a good food:

1. Find a food that is regularly available and affordable for you. (You shouldn't have to drive an hour to find the food and it needs to be available so you're not switching foods every time you run out.
2. Find a food that the dog likes and will eat. There shouldn't be any vomiting or diarrhea on the food and the dog should find it palatable.
3. Find a food that produces consistent stools approximately 2 times a day. Believe me, this is important.
4. Go with a brand that does it's research and will show it to you. Purina, Hills, Science Diet and Royal Canin are 4 that come to the vet schools to show their research and offer it to the public. There are other great brands too, but any of the quality food companies, should be able to provide you with a list of ingredients and any research that has been done.

What do I feed my dogs? They have a history of developing bladder stones so they are on a Royal Canin prescription diet. For my parents dog however, I order them Purina Pro Plan.

Those are my thoughts!